The Monitoring and Evaluation Officers JobAlright, here is the picture for you...You are a coordinator of a programme or project who is just dieing to recruit a Monitoring and Evaluation Officer for your organization. You have never really done it before but you know deep inside how important it is to have a Monitoring and Evaluation Officer for your programme or project. Where do you begin? Well for starters you are to be commended as programme or project coordinator for thinking about recruiting a Monitoring and Evaluation Officer because the truth is every organization needs one WHY??? Well you don't need a rocket scientist to tell you that reporting results is a must. Especially if you have donors always asking you each and every day what your project or programme has achieved. A Monitoring and Evaluation Officer is the best move. However, the kind of Monitoring and Evaluation Officer you need isn't just anybody right. You need somebody who will deliver the kind of work that your organization is just dieing to have. You need the best you can get, the best you had dreamed of and the best you will ever have....GOT IT!! Now lets begin to describe the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer of your dreams, don't say you weren't warned.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer that Rocks!!!Remember the time in your life when you wanted something so bad that you would do anything to get it and when you found it you just breathed a sigh of relief of having found that one thing you wanted so bad. That's how you should actually feel when you find the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer of your dreams. Here are a few qualities that a Monitoring and Evaluation must have;
1) Analytical; The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer should be analytical and know how to read between the lines. Remember not everything out there is in black and white, he needs to be able to explain results and the reason for those results.
2) Know M&E to the core; Most people think that Monitoring and Evaluation is a piece of cake and is something you can wake up one morning and read in a text book easily. You need to be able to tell whether the person you are interviewing is one of those people. Ask simple questions like what is Monitoring and Evaluation and see how he or she explains. You will be surprised at how many strange answers you will get from people who claim to know Monitoring and Evaluation.
3) Be hardworking; This doesn't have to be explained in detail because it is obvious that you need someone who is dedicated to the job
Now let's briefly understand what this Monitoring and Evaluation Officer is expected to do when he or she is recruited for your programme or project.
Job Specifications for the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer1) Monitoring the Programme; All Monitoring and Evaluation Officers are expected to Monitor the programme or project that an organization is implementing.
2) Create Monitoring Tools; All Monitoring and Evaluation Officers should be expected to develop data collection tools and instruments. If those instruments are already in place, they are expected to review and update the tools. There is no two ways about it.
3) Assist in development of future programmes; All Monitoring and Evaluation Officers are expected to provide input in developing programme documents, logframes and whatever comes into the programme planning phase.
Be sure that when the Monitoring and Evaluation has these qualities then you are atleast assured of having a Monitoring and Evaluation Officer that Rocks. Take Monitoring and Evaluation to a whole different level.